EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM quick review:
– Quality: Excellent
– Released: 2010
– Price: ~ 2,000$
– Used for: Portrait, sport, animal, landscape, architectural.
– Who need: Professional level and people who have passion on photography.
Other version of EF 70-200mm lenses:
– EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
– EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
– EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
– EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM Introduction ↑
You may know the fact that most of pro-photographer have this lens in their bag. Many photographer accept that zoom lens EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM is the King of portrait and sport lenses. Here is why.
Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM produces very impressive quality, the images are very clear and sharpness (this lens delivers most sharpness images than other Canon lenses). USM focusing is very fast and accurate. Focal length range from 70-200 which is very useful for many purposes: Portrait, sport, animal, landscape, architectural… Lens also have weather sealing and 4 stop Image Stabilization.
EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM almost no distortion and purple fringing. You may don’t need the tripod with this lens because the IS function work very well. EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM was upgrade from the first version 70-200mm f/2.8 IS (released in 2001 and discontinued in 2010), the first version was very impressive and that why no-wonder how excellent the II version.
EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM was design for full-frame DSRL. However, it also work very well on crop 1.3x and 1.6x.
EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM advantages:
– Producing beautiful colors.
– High Sharpness, contract and clarity.
– Fast and Accurate focusing
– Low distortion
– Useful for many purpose: Portrait, sport, animal, landscape, architectural…
EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM disadvantages:
– Big and heavy weight
EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM Specification ↑
The meaning of characters on Lens
– EF: Mount type (EF stand for Electronic Focus)
– L: Luxury serial.
– II: the second version of 70-200mm f/2.8 IS.
– IS: Image stabilization.
– USM: Ultra-Sonic Motor focusing type.
– Focal Length: 70-200mm (90-260mm on crop 1.3x, 115-320mm on crop 1.6x)
– Maximum Aperture: 1:2.8
– Lens Construction: 23 elements in 19 groups (1 Fluorite and 5 UD elements)
– Diagonal Angle of View: 34° – 12°
– Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available
– Closest Focusing Distance: 1.2m/3.94 ft. (maximum close-up magnification: 0.21x)
– Filter Size: 77mm
– Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.5 x 7.8 in./88.8 x 199mm; 52.6 oz./1490g
– Lens Cap, Lens Hood and Pouch: Lens Hood ET-87.
EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM Reviews ↑
Sport/Fast moving subject ↑
You will be very confident with EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM when photographing sport events. You can say that this lens is the King of sport photography. EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM have fast and accurate focusing, effective focal length ranges and comfortable weight. It’s the most used lens of many sport journalist. You can photograph almost sport events: athletics, swimming, tenis…and even moto racing.
Just in case, if you want a bit high level than EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM for photographing very professional sport events, there are some pro tele-lens for you such as Canon EF 300 f/2.8 IS II, Canon EF 500 f/4 IS or Canon EF 800 f/4 IS…But these lenses are very expensive 5000-12000$.
EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM delivers excellent images, it’s beautiful colors, clarity, sharpness and contract… This lens is also most used lens of pre-wedding photographer. the focal length 70-200 is quite suitable for portrait from closet-portrait, half-portrait to full-portrait. EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM is the best portrait lens in series 70-200 (include Sigma and Tamron lenses).
EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM produces nice bokeh and smooth blur-background, almost no purple fringing even in multil source-lights environment.
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM can deliver sharpness and beautiful colors almost like 16-35mm f/2.8 or 35mm f/1.4 did. But the focal length 70mm is a little bit unsuitable for landscapes.
When you shooting the strong light as street lights or car-lights with small aperture Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM will create the images very beautiful 8 points star effects.
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM is good for photographing some big animals but the small animals like birds focal length 200mm is quite short.