What is a Macro lens? ↑
Canon Macro Lens or other Macro lens is a lens that can make a subject larger in the frame than a standard lens can deliver. A Macro lens may also provide more excellent image quality than a normal lens. And it is quite funny to use, the images from macro photography look fun, unusual, beautiful and intriguing.
You may see a lot of lenses have macro in their specifications.but few of them have qualification. Actually a real macro lens is a 1x (or 1:1). That numbers mean the subject will be rendered its real size on the camera’s sensor. For example, a 10mm subject will be rendered across 10mm of the sensor. Remember that a full frame sensor is 35mm, so 10mm subject will be rendered very huge on your large monitor.
These pictures below show different macro ratio affect on subject:
Something about Macro lens you should know:
- Field curvature: Most of macro lenses are ‘flat field’ lenses, field curvature must be minimised as much as possible. Example when you photograph a postage stamp, all the corners and center of the stamp should all be sharp and in focus.
- Minimum focus distance: Macro lenses with the same magnification factor of 1:1 (1.0x) may have different minimum focus distances, it increase with longer focal lenghts. Example, 60mm 1.0x macro lens have minimum focus distance 20cm while 180mm 1.0x lens have 48cm.
- Depth of field: When you photograph with a macro lens at minimum focus distance, depth of field is very small. Example, 100mm macro lens on APS-C camera, DOF is just 0.6mm at f/2.8.
3 Best Canon Macro Lens ↑
1. Canon macro lens EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM ↑
Summary: Excellent image quality, fast and accurate auto focus, new Hybrid Image Stabilization technology, and light weight.
Canon Cacro Lens EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM is simply unrivalled with Canon’s sophisticated Image Stabilization, highest quality optics, near-silent Ultrasonic focusing and life-size close-up capabilities without an adapter.This is the first lens of Canon use new Hybrid Image Stabilization Technology. Hybrid IS not only effectively compensates for shift camera shake during close-up shooting, also aids greatly when framing at high magnification.Beside that, The 100mm focal length also works very well for portraits photography. With the wide f/2.8 aperture, Canon macro lens EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM can create an impressively shallow DOF at 1:1.
- Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 100mm f/2.8.
- Lens Construction: 15 elements in 12 groups.
- Diagonal Angle of View: 23.4°.
- Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available.
- Closest Focusing Distance: 0.99 ft./0.3m (maximum close-up magnification: 1x).
- Filter Size: 67mm.
- Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.1 x 4.8 in./77.7 x 123mm, 22.0 oz./625g.
2. Canon Macro Lens MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x ↑
Summary: Well built, extremely Magnification 1-5x but Manual Focus Only.
If you want a Canon Macro Lens with more than 1x magnification then this is the lens to get. Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x is a unique manual-focus lens designed exclusively for macro shooting. Macro ratio from 1x to 5x, at its maximum magnification 5x, you can fill a 35mm sensor with a single grain of rice. Understand that DOF at higher magnifications becomes extremely small. This is one of canon lens can deliver images that are matched by no other Canon lens.
- Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 65mm 1:2.8.
- Lens Construction: 10 elements in 8 groups.
- Diagonal Angle of View: 18° 40′.
- Focus Adjustment: Manual.
- Closest Focusing Distance: 0.24m / 0.8 ft. (from film plane to subject).
- Filter Size: 58mm.
- Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.2 x 3.9, 25.8 oz. / 81.0 x 98.0mm, 730g (lens only).
3. Canon Macro Lens EF 180mm f/3.5L USM ↑
Summary: Solid build quality, excellent image quality, well working distance but slow AF.
Canon Macro Lens EF 180mm f/3.5L USM have maximum magnification just 1x but working distance is great. The subject can be taken from a farther distance, this is great to photograph some thing like insects without disturbing the it. Even the f/3.5 aperture isn’t so large but 180mm focal length can create a great, diffusely-blurred background.
Remember that this lens have slowly auto focusing, so do not be in any hurry when you are working with it. And EF 180mm f/3.5L USM is compatible with extenders, it’s possible to extend macro ratio up to 1.4x, 2x with an extender.
- Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 180mm 1:3.5.
- Lens Construction: 14 elements in 12 groups.
- Diagonal Angle of View: 13° 30′.
- Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM.
- Closest Focusing Distance: 0.48m / 1.6 ft.
- Filter Size: 72mm.
- Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.2 x 7.3, 2.4 lbs. / 82.5 x 186.6mm, 1090g