What is telephoto lenses? ↑
In photography and cinematography, if a lens have long focal length, physically the length of the lens is shorter than focal length is called telephoto lens.
Depend on the focal length, Telephoto lenses have 2 sub-types:
Medium telephoto: Focal length about 67mm to 206mm (it can cover 30° – 10° field of view) in full frame format.
Super telephoto: Focal length more than 300mm (it can cover between 8° through less than 1° field of view).
The main purposes of Telephoto lens are “bringing things close” and putting a background out-of-focus.
Top 3 best Canon Telephoto lenses ↑
1. EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II USM ↑
Meaning of all numbers and characters
EF: Lens mount EF. 100-400mm: Range of focal length from 100mm to 400mm. f4.5-5.6: Apecture at 100mm is f4.5, at 400mm is F5.6; L is Luxery model of Canon lenses. IS: Image stabilization. II: 2nd edition of this model. USM: focus technology.
If you looking for a high quality Canon telephoto lenses, think about the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens. It delivers a superb combination of compact construction and brilliant resolving power. It’s very great for sports and wildlife photography.
- One Fluorite and one super UD element: providing impressive contrast and resolution with reduced chromatic aberration across the entire zoom range.
- ASC (Canon’s new Air Sphere Coating): reducing backlit flaring and ghosting.
- Fluorine coatings on the front and rear lens surfaces: lessen smears and fingerprints.
- A 9-blade circular aperture: for beautiful, soft backgrounds,
- Optical Image Stabilizer: provides up to 4 steps of image correction.
- New inner focusing AF system: ensure fast and accurate focus down to 3.2 ft.
- Rotation-type zoom ring: adjustable zoom torque for more precise.
- Tripod mount: easy to attach and detach without removing the lens from the camera.
Pros: Professional grade build quality, reduce aberration across the entire zoom range. Fast, accurate and quiet AF. Effective image stabilization. Very useful focal length range 100-400mm.
Cons: Weight heavy and price high.
2. Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM ↑
Another high quality tele-lens of Canon telephoto lenses is EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM. It’s Designed to deliver ultra-high quality images along with lightning fast operation, it brings a favorite zoom range to the celebrated Canon L-series of lenses.
- Ultra Low Dispersion (UD) elements: Improving image quality and reduced chromatic aberration.
- Floating focusing mechanism: Providing sharpness from close up to infinity.
- IS (Image Stabilizer) system: featuring a function that allows it to continue to operate, even when used on a rigid tripod.
- Optional Canon Tripod Mount C (W II): helping for balanced mounting on a tripod or monopod.
- dust- and water-resistant
- Fluorine coating: resist smears and fingerprints.
3. Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM ↑
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is the high quality Canon telephoto lenses. It is one of the most celebrated lenses in the Canon EF line. This is the II edition of EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM with improving speed, performance and optical quality while maintaining all of the characteristics that have made it a legend for professionals and advanced amateurs alike.
- One fluorite and five UD elements: help to increased optical quality and reduced chromatic aberration.
- Minimum focusing distance of 1.2m/3.9 ft. at all zoom settings: very useful for photographers in smaller spaces trying to get closer to a subject.
- Optical Image Stabilizer: provides up to 4 steps of image correction at all focal lengths.
- dust- and moisture-resistant.